Poll

How do aristocrats obtain their fortunes?

Oppressing and taking unfair advantage of the poor
4 (40%)
Stealing land and treasure with an army
2 (20%)
Stealing land and treasure with a rebel force
0 (0%)
Stealing by other non-lethal means
2 (20%)
Other! Please give us details.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: British Royal Family Business and Money  (Read 8905 times)

LetThemEatKate

• Baby Chatter
  • Fabulousness: 20
British Royal Family Business and Money
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »
Duchy of Cornwall is making more money than ever! Queen and Charles may or may not pay taxes! The oiks don't have a right to ask, much less a right to know.
Found this article today. It details some of their scams.

"The Royal Family of Britain, which the government tries to sell as one of the country’s tourism attractions, spends the public money in a way which is nothing short of a disgrace."

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/02/18/289659/taxpayer/
I'm giving you all stars

LetThemEatKate

• Baby Chatter
Re: British Royal Family Business and Money
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:09:24 AM »
The Duchy of Cornwall worries legal experts. It claims to be a public authority or a private estate, depending on the circumstances. I don't know why people aren't madder about this.

"the duchy is immune to the legislation governing freedom of information: the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the environmental information regulations 2004, which confer on the public the right to require public authorities to disclose information about their environmental planning and performance.

It seems anomalous, and worrying, that such a huge estate, created and conferred by law and exercising significant legal powers, should be able to escape public scrutiny by calling itself a private estate."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/31/prince-charles-legislation-veto-duchy-of-cornwall
I'm giving you all stars

LetThemEatKate

• Baby Chatter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:24:49 AM »
Here are some interesting figures on the royal family from Republic:
   :whatsup:  The estimated total annual cost of the monarchy to taxpayers is £202.4m, around five times the official figure published by the royal household (£38.3m last year).
   :whatsup:  The official figure excludes a number of costs, including round-the-clock security, lavish royal visits and lost revenue from the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall.
    :whatsup: Civil List expenditure has increased by 94 per cent in real terms over the last two decades.
 :whatsup:£202.4m is equivalent to 9,560 nurses, 8,200 police officers and more than the total annual Ministry of Defence spending on food.
 :whatsup:The total cost is also equivalent to a number of high profile government cuts, including cuts to the Sure Start programme.
  :whatsup:   The British monarchy is 112 times as expensive as the Irish president and more than twice as expensive as the French semi-presidential system.
 :whatsup:    Taxpayers are kept in the dark about the exact cost of the monarchy, due to the royal household's exemption from the Freedom of Information Act and widespread misunderstanding about the nature of the royal family's finances.

http://www.republic.org.uk/What%20we%20want/In%20depth/Royal%20finances/index.php
I'm giving you all stars

Leesa

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:49:03 AM »
Wanted to click on the first three, but it only allowed one choice!  :incognito: - I'm enjoying the stuff you're posting, LetThemEatKate! - It's a day off for me today, so I'll start with the videos of the BRF. My hubby is making lunch and I've already had my first wine, so it promises to be a pleasant afternoon!

Thank you so very much for being on the board to post!  :deputymascot: :Marsha:

And hello Mille! *waving*

LetThemEatKate

• Baby Chatter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 07:20:21 AM »
Wanted to click on the first three, but it only allowed one choice!  :incognito: - I'm enjoying the stuff you're posting, LetThemEatKate! - It's a day off for me today, so I'll start with the videos of the BRF. My hubby is making lunch and I've already had my first wine, so it promises to be a pleasant afternoon!

Thank you so very much for being on the board to post!  :deputymascot: :Marsha:

And hello Mille! *waving*

Leesa, you have made my day. No, my week...no, my month!  :shinystar: every time I can give you one. I cannot wait to hear your comments!!
I'm giving you all stars

Fragrance78

• Stunning Chatter
  • Fabulousness: 1686
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »
They way I read it, the poll is about how current aristos' ancestors obtained their riches that is then passed down thru the generations - so I voted for the Stealing with an army jobby.

These aristos were once the right hand and loyal men of Kings and Queens for which reason they were given lands and stuff.
This is how I roll.

Tatty

• Administrator
  • Stunning Chatter
  • Fabulousness: 579
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »
In terms of how do they obtain it - it was usually a gift of the monarch. It would have been taken from common land or taken from someone else and redistributed to those who were in the monarch's favour.

They didn't buy it on the open market that's for sure.

LetThemEatKate

• Baby Chatter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
They way I read it, the poll is about how current aristos' ancestors obtained their riches that is then passed down thru the generations - so I voted for the Stealing with an army jobby.

These aristos were once the right hand and loyal men of Kings and Queens for which reason they were given lands and stuff.

My next poll will be worded better! Love the feature, by the way, Tatty! There's  a great little community getting started here!  :cancan:    :shinystar: for everybody! :grouphugg:
I'm giving you all stars

LetThemEatKate

• Baby Chatter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
In terms of how do they obtain it - it was usually a gift of the monarch. It would have been taken from common land or taken from someone else and redistributed to those who were in the monarch's favour.

They didn't buy it on the open market that's for sure.

For sure!!
I'm giving you all stars

just me

• Pretty Chatter
  • Fabulousness: 38
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »
Do you guys think with a slimmed down monarchy Charles's family will get more money then compared to Queen's children in her reign? For example will harry and his wife will be more financially well off then compared to Andrew or edward and their respective families? I read some where that sarah did not have the same budget as diana and rf didn't give her as much money for her upkeep as her sil. Will this happen with Harry's wife also or will they be better off since Charles will be scaling down monarchy so now the money will be divided among a small number of people?

Leesa

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
I kinda think that it's OK for Wills to get more than Harry since Wills is the future king. Equally, Diana was Princess of Wales and Fergie "only" Duchess of York, so they were in different categories. - It makes sense to me!

just me

• Pretty Chatter
  • Fabulousness: 38
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
I think those who do the most engagements should get the most. This will make sure the heirs are working just as hard as other members of the RF. If harry's wife will be doing more engagements then she should have an equal budget if not more then a woman who is doing less.  Why should certain members of rf work more and get less? While Diana got more she also worked way more then Sarah who was spending more and working less. If harry's wife won't get as much as Kate for doing more work then i think it will be unfair for her work that much and get paid. Then she should also work less. This is fair to me.

Kit

• Beautiful Chatter
  • Fabulousness: 191
  • Oi Vey!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 05:20:13 AM »
The Queen and Charles agree to share spoils of new Cornish gold bonanza

The Queen has struck a deal with Prince Charles to split the proceeds of gold reserves which have been discovered in Cornwall.

After prospectors found ‘commercial quantities’ of the precious metal, royal advisers  have decided to resolve a centuries-old row between the Crown Estate and Charles’s Duchy of Cornwall over who has the right to the profits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420936/The-Queen-Charles-agree-share-spoils-new-Cornish-gold-bonanza.html

take, take, take, take, take... take

Anastasia Beaverhausen

• Beautiful Chatter
  • Fabulousness: 327
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 10:11:03 PM »
Are they insane?  What a public relations nightmare!  They should give it all, unless they are footing those unspecified  "costs" themselves, which I doubt.

Kit

• Beautiful Chatter
  • Fabulousness: 191
  • Oi Vey!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
i know, greedy feckers, enough is never enough